Wednesday, February 1, 2012

NTFS-3G on Mac OS X

So I have three NTFS hard drives, and I want to write to them from my Mac OS X. No native support, of course, so I found a handy little tool called NTFS-3G. Free but not fully trouble-free, I decided to install it. I just managed to make it work, and the basic steps were:
  • Install MacPorts (just download and install).
  • sudo port install ntfs-3g (I'm guessing it'll take a WHILE to grab all the necessary dependencies, but it just needs to do it once. Fast network highly preferred).
  • mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig
  • ln -s /opt/local/bin/ntfs-3g /sbin/mount_ntfs

The volumes will no longer appear on the Desktop, but they'll be accessible through the terminal on /Volumes/*. And to get a window open, just open /Volumes/VolumeName. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment