Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Terminal Unmounting

I'm reducing the amount of clicking I do when using my computer. To that purpose, I wanted to learn how to unmount/eject media, either virtual or physical, from the command line instead of having to simulate a right-click by pressing the Ctrl button _ aiming the trackpad to the volume's icon, after having had to find it on the desktop.

So I learned. Simple:
sudo umount /Volumes/Name

and if it's stubborn,
sudo -f umount /Volumes/Name

and if it's stubborner,
sudo diskutil umount force /Volumes/FooBar

Credits:
http://loopkid.net/articles/2008/06/27/force-unmount-on-mac-os-x

p.s: On the same clicking-reduction line, the terminal command "open" will open any file or directory, just as it would by double-clicking on it through the GUI. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment