Saturday, October 6, 2012

.bashrc, .bash_profile

While I've learned some nice bash tricks during the past few months, I haven't really gotten to customizing it or really understanding how it works from the bottom up. .bashrc and .bash_profile, for example, are two files close to the boundary of my current understanding of bash's structure.

I don't know how they really work just yet, but as I looked for how to implement bash aliases, I bumped into these sample .bashrc and .bash_profile files, which seem to illustrate bash's ample functionality comprehensively. I'll be honest, I haven't really read even five lines of it, but it seems like a super useful bit of text. Here's the link:


The website seems to be the Linux Documentation project, so I doubt it'll be going away anytime soon. (I was considering copy-pasting its contents, but that seems a bit over-paranoid).

No comments:

Post a Comment