Thursday, July 26, 2012

Google Web Search Keyboard Navigation

A few days ago, I realized that Gmail has the best keyboard UI among all of the Google products. Its keyboard amenability is a highly desirable feature among users who like performing tasks without frequently switching over to the mouse.

So today I was telling a friend about this, and about how even Google Web Search does not have such a keyboard-friendly interface. I opened a Google Web Search window to demonstrate how one couldn't navigate up and down the searches with "j" and "k", and how one could not open a search result with "o". But then I thought maybe it was navigable with arrow keys. So I tried it, and sure enough, it works!!! Steps here:
  1. Search for something on Google.
  2. Press [TAB] to remove focus from the main search text box.
  3. Press [UP] and [DOWN] to move up and down the search results!
  4. Press [ENTER] to open that search result! This also replaces your current browser tab. OR...
  5. Press [Command]-[ENTER] to open the search result on a new tab! I imagine it works with [Ctrl]-[ENTER] on Windows machines.
Now I'm curious to see what other Google products I can find keyboard shortcuts for. I've noticed Google Play is notoriously lacking in these, but maybe YouTube and Maps have matured to the point of keyboard interactivity.

And... ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment